June 20, 2012

A Mermaid Picnic


To go along with our mermaid theme this week, I made my girls a surprise mermaid picnic.



Our menu included a hot dog octopus, berry jello "ocean" cup with goldfish, a watermelon seahorse (yeah, I had no clue it was a YELLOW watermelon until I cut into it), and the pièce de résistance: a mermaid tail smoothie push pop.


I recently bought this 4-Piece Silicone Ice Pop Set from Amazon and have been loving them. For this meal, I simply blended a frozen banana with a handful of strawberries, filled the molds, and let them freeze for a couple hours. To turn the push pop into a mermaid tail, all you have to do is cut out a whale tail shape from adhesive-backed craft foam.


The girls loved their special meal... and I had a lot of fun preparing it!



Mermaid Cookbook by Barbara Beery

If you're looking for a kids cookbook with ocean and mermaid-themed food, this is your book. All of Barbara Beery's books feature fun recipes geared toward school-aged girls. Most of the recipes are for snacks or desserts.








   

5 comments:

  1. I think i have a few mermaid lovers over here! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your mermaid picnic! You can see it here:

    http://funfamilycrafts.com/mermaid-picnic/

    Thanks for a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete

More Fun...

Related Posts with Thumbnails