January 13, 2010

Snowmen... a yummy snack!

You can't let a good snowfall lay unmolested; you have to make a snowman! I mentioned before that we rarely get snow here (and when I say rarely, I mean once every 5 years or so). But we're not going to let a little thing like lack of snow keep us from the joys of snowmen. So we made our own family of popcorn snowmen!

IMG_3813

I got the idea from Family Fun, but I adjusted the recipe some. Here's what I did. In a pot over medium heat, melt 2 T of butter with half a bag of marshmallows. Mix with 1/2 a batch of popcorn, like you would while making rice krispy treats.

IMG_3804

When it cools enough to handle, have your children form balls. This is a great sensory exercise, especially for kids who have sensory integration issues like my prissy little E. Look at her expression! Priceless.

IMG_3803

Now you can decorate! Aren't hershey kisses and jelly beans more fun than scarves and mittens? Pretzel sticks would be perfect for arms, but we were out (of course). I used carrot sticks. Hey, at least they're healthy!

IMG_3805

Now take a picture, quick before they melt!

IMG_3811

No, really, they will start slowly to fall apart. But that's okay. It's a great setup for our book!

Snowmen at Night by Caralyn Buehner

What happens to your snowmen at night that makes him so discombobulated in the morning? What IS your snowman doing? Snowmen at Night answers this burning question by finally showing us what those sneaky snowmen do at night. No wonder they're so disheveled come morning. They've been out sledding, snowball fighting, ice skating, and enjoying all the fun a winter night has to offer.

This book is simply charming with gorgeous illustrations and a delightful little story about snowmen's nightly antics. If you haven't discovered it yet, you have to pick it up! Both of my girls through a fit when I dropped it in the library box this morning, so I think we're going to need to make this one a permanent part of our home library.

4 comments:

  1. I was laughing out loud at Ev's face before I even read what you wrote. Oh our kiddos. Asher probably wouldn't even be able to touch the stuff without freaking out. Love it. Your snowmen are cute by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I think we will have to do this exact same snack and book. I will probably have to help ER a lot though or she'll crush the popcorn. It combines two of her greatest snack loves popcorn and marshmallow so I'm sure it'll be a hit. Plus I love that book. I have it in hardcover and a listening station, from my classroom days. The Christmas one is cute too.

    ReplyDelete

More Fun...

Related Posts with Thumbnails