December 1, 2009

Christmas Favorites! A Little Angel

We continue our week of my favorite Christmas stories... and a few great craft and project ideas, too!

The Craft - A Poinsettia Angel


I got this idea from my sister who did something similar with a silk magnolia blossom. When I went to Michaels (oh, you lucky, lucky ladies who live near a Hobby Lobby!) to buy a magnolia it was over $10! I found this poinsettia for half the price and decided I could make it work. Here's how I did it:
  1. Gather your materials: a wired silk flower, a wooden ball for the head, a hot glue gun, and moss for the hair.


  2. Twist the stem to create a base. I found wrapping it around something works best. I used a turkey baster... at least it's being used for something!


  3. Fold the flowers down to create the angel's dress. Two smaller petals will form her arms and you'll need one in the back to fold over the wings.


  4. Glue on the head. At this point you can add moss for hair. Attempting to save some money I bought spanish moss instead of reindeer moss. Big mistake. She looked like a clown, no matter how hard I tried to rearrange it. In the end I left her bald.


  5. If you are using a magnolia blossom, remove the leaves and attach them behind the head, either with hot glue or by twisting them around a petal. Then fold down the third small petal to cover them. If you are using a poinsettia, please forgo this step or your angel will look like she is part dragon, and nothing says Christmas like a fire-breathing angel!



  6. Use gold string or wire to create a halo for your lovely little angel. If the leaves don't work as wings for you, just fluff up two likely-looking petals and make them into wings. Now set her where she'll bring holiday cheer to all who come near!


  7. And if your four-year-old breaks down in hysterics because the angel doesn't have a face, go ahead and give her some eyes. :)


The Book - The Littlest Angel by Charles Tazewell

The Littlest AngelI hesitated listing this story, and to tell you the truth I have never read it to E. In the past she has been too little to sit through such a long story, but this year I'm refraining because the theology is horrible. People do not become angels when they die, Heaven is not a place of golden clouds, and we will not play harps or wear halos. I believe Heaven is a real place and I don't wish my impressionable preschooler to get images of choirs in robes stuck in her head when we talk about it.

That being said, I personally love this book. If you can get past the make-believe world Tazewell creates, the story beautifully demonstrates the transforming power of God's love. When Jesus is born into the world, the Littlest Angel - a screw up in so many ways - presents his most valued treasure to the Lord. Inside a simple box are items the Littlest Angel loves: a butterfly wing, two small stones, a robin's egg. When the Littlest Angel sees all the beautiful and costly gifts the other angels have given, he longs to take back his humble gift. Yet God sees the gift for what it was, a sacrifice of love, and honors it by turning it into the star of Bethlehem.

I cry every time.

I love parties, so I'm linking up with:
- Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage
- DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land
- Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog

15 comments:

  1. That is a lovely little craft! Tomorrow on my other blog ABC & 123 we're starting a Christmas book and activity blog hop. You should link up:)

    I love that story too, but I never thought about the theology side of just the lovely sentiment that sentiment that gifts from the heart are the most meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is totally cute but I think I have two little boys that would LOVE a fire-breathing dragon angel :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Beautiful! Have you tried out A.C. Moore? I don't know how the prices compare to Michaels, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative! I love it! I never would have thought of doing something like that. Looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, it's very creative and beautiful! A flower, who would have thought? amazing!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am writing to request permission to reprint this adorable project on Craftown.com. We would of course give you full credit and will happily link back to your blog. Please let me know if this is acceptable. Thanks!

    Amanda Formaro
    Chief Editor - Craftown.com
    http://craftown.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! And would you believe that I have yet to put the topper on the tree?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the Littlest Angel record that was recorded by Loretta Young. Received it when I was 5 and I am now 70. I also have the book. I cry when I listen or read too. Very touching story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to try this one! I think a deep cranberry or maroon pointsettia will be incredible as well as a pale pink one. Heck, what color would not work? Really cute idea! Thanks for the great detail as well as your 'insider' tips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in my 60s now and still remember hearing the story read to me by my mom before I learned to read. Even at the time, I knew it was not 'real' and that it did not give a true vision of Heaven. I think young children can completely enjoy the story without getting their Theology messed up. They grow up and mature in their thinking quicker than we wish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very cute and your instructions made me laugh...especially the fire-breathing angel part, lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this little angel. I'm going to make some to but on top of gifts and on our family Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think these little angels would look great on top of gifts in addition to bows.

    ReplyDelete

More Fun...

Related Posts with Thumbnails