December 15, 2010

Christmas Crayons


Target always has a few gems in their dollar spot, and a few weeks ago I snatched up a couple Christmas-themed silicone trays. Not surprisingly, these puppies have been showing up all over the blogosphere in fun and creative ways. One such blogger (insert link here when I can remember who the heck it was!) used her trays as crayon molds. Brilliant!

So I sat my little type-A-ers down to the tedious task of peeling the paper off of old and broken crayons. They went at it with a passion worthy of their detail-oriented mother.


10 minutes at 200 degrees was just about perfect in my oven. I suggest keeping an eye on it, because they go from soft to liquid very quickly, and you don't want to the colors to run together too much.  Allow to cool and pop out for some adorable (and cheap) kids gifts!


I've Seen Santa! by David Bedford

I've Seen Santa!Here's a cute Christmas bedtime book toddlers and early preschoolers will like. It's Christmas Eve and Little Bear is worried that Santa won't come. He keeps a close eye on the fireplace all night, looking out for Santa, but finding Mama Bear and Big Bear instead. Eventually the whole family decide to stay awake to wait for Santa. They never see him... but HE sees THEM!

The illustrations are adorable and the story is cute, simple, and short - just right for young attention spans.

10 comments:

  1. Love the bear faces on the cover of that book. It does look really cute. We haven't tried to make our own crayons yet. Your Christmas tree is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that book - it's super cute. This is a nice idea for a quick gift, I have to keep it in mind for the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just started to save our broken crayons for a project like this, but I have yet to buy silicone trays. It sounds so easy and the results are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book looks so cute. Great ideas for the crayon trees. My kids would love to get these from friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to make crayons in molds. This is a really cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Has anybody tried this with metal cookie cutters?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought those cute pans...what a great way to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea! I bet you could use this idea with other holiday molds as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. if you soak the crayons in water for a half hour or so, the wrapping comes off much more easily.

    and in response to the poster, I've used metal cookie cutters before, on a foil-lined cookie sheet (I think parchment paper would be better, though).

    laurie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just went and bought some trays (of course I saw the ones at target weeks ago and did not know what to use them for....). What are other ideas for using the trays? I want to be sure I want to keep my $5 trays!!

    ReplyDelete

More Fun...

Related Posts with Thumbnails