August 3, 2010

MYO Awesome Spelling Train


You'll forgive me as I toot my own horn (aren't I witty?) but I think this spelling train I made E turned out absolutely adorable. Using some scrapbook paper, I created a shape train, leaving pockets in each of the cars.  To go in those pockets, I labeled 26 popsicle sticks with the letters of the alphabet, topping them off with animal alphabet graphics I found online.


Four letters slip into the box cars, allowing E to spell different words and play around with rhymes.


Holes I punched in each box reveal the letter there as well.


Let the literacy fun begin!


The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper

The Little Engine That CouldYou knew I'd be featuring this book at some point this week! Of course everyone has heard of the story, but have you ever read the full, original version? Because of its title - and its famous catchphrase "I think I can!" - I always thought this book was about the power of positive thinking. But the true title of the book should be The Little Engine that Would. It's basically the story of the Good Samaritan: Toys on a broken down train plead with a series of passersby to stop and help them deliver good things to the children on the other side of the mountain. Train after capable train refuse for one reason or another. Finally, the little engine, who wasn't sure if she even could climb the mountain, agrees.

E has always loved this book, and while I often created my own abridged version for her, I appreciate the moral of helping others against insurmountable odds. Sometimes, you just can't beat a classic.

I'm linking up to:
- Made by You Monday @ Skip to My Lou

16 comments:

  1. That is adorable:) I love that you "toot" your own horn:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, SO cute! Absolutely adorable.

    We own that copy of the book and I love everything about it. My kids do too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so incredibly adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chugga, chugga, woo-woo!
    I think I'm gonna do this to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute!!!! I love it! I added it to my tumblr page :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant! Love it!

    If you have a chance, I hope you will post this over at We Teach - The Alphabet Group. (www.weteach.ning.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my - so ADORABLE!! My boys love trains so this really caught my eye. If only I did scrapbooking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to make spelling fun! And I guess you could always add cars to the train for the bigger words. Wouldn't that be a great incentive to get them to try longer words? And such cute little letters you used. Well done! Thanks for sharing ... I've posted a link.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just wondering where you got the font for this project, I found some but nothing as cute as you have. Thanks so much for the idea.
    Gretchen_morrison@hotmail.com

    PS please don't post my e-mail address, I couldn't get into my account at the time. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my this is cute!!! And a super Spelling idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Any chance you can link us to the site where you got the alphabet letters? They are adorable! I love this idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I should have! I can't find them again, but if you google-image "animal alphabet letters" and set your image size to large, there's others that pop up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This train is so adorable. I have made three of these, one to my son and two to my kindergarden, where I work. Thank you so for the inspiration! (All the way from Sweden!!)
    Do you have any pages where I can find the letters you have used with the train?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ida - I've tried and haven't been able to find those animal letters again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, but thank you so for trying!

    ReplyDelete

More Fun...

Related Posts with Thumbnails