July 26, 2010

A Picnic Birthday


My baby turned 2 this week! To celebrate we invited family over for a picnic-themed birthday party. Due to the extreme heatwave buffeting the east coast, we were forced to make it an indoor picnic, but those pesky ants found us anyway!


This cake was fairly simple to make. M&Ms provided the body of the ants, while melted chocolate "piped" with a toothpick formed the legs and antennae. The picnic blanket was a fruit roll-up that I fringed along the edges with scissors. I also cut marshmallows to make the plates. The watermelon are sourpatch watermelon candies from Target which I sliced. The awesome coca-cola bottles and pizza slices were part of a gummy candy set my husband found at Walgreens. Perfect, huh? (They actually tasted like Coke!)


The cake worked as a perfect centerpiece until it was time to light the candles!


While us adults sat in the dining room, the kids enjoyed their dinner in true picnic fashion... on the floor.


I had to change my menu last minute so my husband wouldn't pass out from heat stroke while trying to grill in 103 degree temperatures. So instead of grilling, I tried this Cafe Rio Pork Salad recipe a friend recommended. It was delish, as was my hub's homemade salad and guacamole.


To go along with the picnic theme, I used red plastic tablecloths from Target on the table and floor, and lined my serving table with leftover fabric from my pennant banner:


Pennant banners are so easy to make and super-popular in catalogs like Pottery Barn Kids. To sew your own, simply cut out triangles from coordinating fabrics. (I used this template for my triangle.) I made nine pennants, so that's 18 triangles. Pin the triangles together, right sides facing in, and sew down one side and up the other. Flip right side out and iron flat. Now tuck the non-sewn edge in (so it looks like a seam) and iron flat. Pin the pennants onto a grosgrain ribbon (this one is nine feet) at regular intervals (I did 2 inches apart), making sure to leave plenty of extra ribbon on each end. Sew the pennants to the ribbon. Voila! A beautiful pennant banner, perfect for your next party!



I didn't read any books at the party, but there are numerous good picnic books out there. The Teddy Bears' Picnic is probably my favorite, but we also love McDuff Saves the Day.

What about you? Do you have any good picnic-themed books to share?

I'm linking up to:
     

15 comments:

  1. Fantastic idea for a birthday party. I love the M&M ants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very sweet idea. Happy birthday to your "baby" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake ROCKS- way to go MOM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is such a super cute party idea! it could be used for a number of occasions! birthday, anniversary, grade-school graduation (we do a little family party every year)....i just ♥ it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to little A! That cake is amazing and I am in love with fabric pennants. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that party! You have so many creative ideas!! Next week I'm having a PRETTY PACKAGES PARTY. I hope you'll stop by and share some of talent. You can pick up a button to keep as a reminder!
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com
    Smiles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable cake! I'm currently brainstorming ideas for my son's third birthday at the end of August. I've got the cake-baking down, but the decorating gets me every time. Also, I just discovered Cafe Rio Pork Salad (the recipe at least, never been to the restaurant), and I LOVE it! So delicious, and great for feeding a crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your cake! You can see it here:

    http://funfamilycrafts.com/picnic-cake/

    If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!

    ReplyDelete

More Fun...

Related Posts with Thumbnails