April 26, 2012

The Rewards of Hard Work


Meet E's new friend Eleanor! Eleanor arrived yesterday and is the culmination of months of hard work.


Nearly a year ago I set up an account for E on MyJobChart.com. This fabulous free resource let's you create online job charts for each child and assign each job a point value. Kids login to fill out their job charts and then spend, save, or share (donate) their accumulated points. Rewards can be anything you want - screen time, fun activities, or tangible rewards like toys.

E has been saving up all year for this American Girl doll. I set her price at 5,000 points, and after picking up hundreds of pine cones, cleaning the bathroom dozens of time, and of course setting the table, doing her homework, and straightening her room daily, her dolly doppelganger is here.


She spent half the afternoon yesterday playing with her, and the other half playing with the doll's virtual twin on InnerStarU.com. (I swear she's almost more excited about the computer games than the doll itself.) Then at bedtime, I created this quick and easy bed out of the AG box. I simply wrapped some scrap fabric around a folded batting to create the mattress, and then cut out some scrap fleece for a blanket. She and A's (My Generation) doll were all tucked in for the night.


I'm so proud of my little girl for her perseverance in working toward a goal! What are some of the ways you teach and reward hard work and motivate your children to help out around the house?


6 comments:

  1. You must be so proud of her. What a wonderful doll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! She is adorable..and the doll is cute too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great job! Congratulations to your daughter for her hard work and to Mommy for teaching such an important life skill! This post made me smile. I just passed down my Molly doll from when I was a girl to my oldest daughter and we are going to the American Girl Store this weekend to celebrate her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job!! She definitely doesn't lack determination. :) There is a "trunk show" for American Girl clothing at the Klumsy Moose in Chesapeake on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting. Abby wants an American Girl doll, but can't seem to save for it. She keeps finding other things and using her money. We do remind her, but she has trouble waiting for something.

    I do want to set up some type of chore thing, but don't know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good job! I am impressed with her pretty doll! And she and her doll are very look like each other.Really amazing!

    ReplyDelete

More Fun...

Related Posts with Thumbnails