December 12, 2011

Easy "Clay" Ornaments


When I saw this "homemade clay" recipe from Busy Bee Kids Crafts, I knew I needed to try it. Our salt dough ornaments from several years ago were looking a little worse for wear, and I figured A deserved the whole cookie-cutter ornament experience.

The clay was simple enough to make: 2 cups baking soda, 1 cup cornstarch, 1 1/2 cups water. Just mix in a pot over heat until it forms the right consistency. Then cool enough to touch and knead, just like you would when making playdough. The clay begins to dry immediately, so you need to work fast. Roll out the dough on wax or parchment paper and cut out the ornaments with cookie cutters. Use a toothpick to create holes for hangers. Leave out for one to two days to dry.

I found the thinner and smaller the ornament, the better it dried. Our larger, thicker ornaments cracked horribly, some into pieces. If you want larger ornaments, stick with salt dough. The clay  did paint beautifully, though, using acrylic paints. We tied ours onto the girls little playroom tree using yarn, and I think the final effect turned out charming.



A Pirate's Night Before Christmas by Philip Yates

I've got this one on hold at the library and I can't wait to get it. Because nothing says Christmas like pirates, right?

(If you're in the mood for more traditional Christmas books, click the label "Christmas" under the title of this post to get a full list of all my past Christmas posts and book reviews.)

6 comments:

  1. These turned out so pretty! Much better than you thought, huh? Paint makes a big difference. Very cute on the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute and fun for the kids to be involved in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely way to decorate a tree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just checked out the Pirate's Night Before Christmas at my library and had such a great time reading it to my kids in my best pirate voice. Even my 21-month-old, who NEVER sits still for stories, was glued to the couch! Great recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

More Fun...

Related Posts with Thumbnails