July 1, 2010

Mouse Shapes


If mice can teach colors, why not shapes? In her book Mouse Shapes, Ellen Stoll Walsh covers basic shapes while spinning a delightful story of three mice and their struggles to avoid a cat. In the book, the three mice discover a pile of shapes and use them to build all sorts of different objects, eventually creating three huge mice to scare away the scaredy-cat.


For our craft I pulled out our trusty construction paper and cut out seven circles and one triangle to make some giant mice of our own.


What is it about glue? Both girls would have been content all day smearing glue onto the shapes.



Other than the ridiculously disproportionate ears, their mice turned out great. We drew on the limbs and tail with a magic marker and I printed off a poem for the inside of the card.


Mice - by Rose Fyleman

I think mice
are rather nice.
Their tails are long,
Their faces small,
They haven't any
Chins at all.

Their ears are pink,
Their teeth are white.
They run around
The house at night.

They nibble things
They shouldn't touch
And no one seems
To like them much.

But I think mice
are nice. 

So do we... at least when safely confined within the pages of a good book!

I'm linking up to:
- stART @ A Mommy's Adventures

11 comments:

  1. So cute! I LOVE Ellen Stoll Walsh. We have done projects with Mouse Paint, Mouse Shapes, and Mouse Count.

    I really like your mouse theme - it's not one you see often. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out great!!! I love shape animals:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the "disproportionate" ears! Kinda reminds me of "Dumbo"...on a smaller scale...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super Cute Mouse! And Nathan loves glue too LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love the other Mouse books but haven't done Mouse Shapes yet... your project of building the mouse from the shapes is perfect and I have a feeling we'll be trying it here soon! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. He came out just like the book. You did an awesome job. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute. Love the poem! I had never read the whole poem before, I just remembered the first two lines. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

More Fun...

Related Posts with Thumbnails