Now that I'm a mom of a preschooler, me and V-day are back on speaking terms. This year, I'm ready (and even excited) for some heart-themed, super-sappy fun! We'll be focusing on love and heart-themed books and crafts for the next couple weeks... starting with a heart birdseed feeder.
Sophie @ Eco-DIY Weddings. Here's how we did it:
1. Toast a slice of bread and cut out with a heart cookie cutter. Don't have one? You can get a pack of multi-sized hearts at any Walmart or Target. Or you can do what Sophie did: simply cut out a paper heart and use it as a template to cut out the bread shape.
2. Have your child spread with PB. (I'm a "choosy mom"... only the best for our birds!)
3. Press into birdseed.
4. Pose for the camera... because that's what children of bloggers do!
5. Let sit overnight or put in a 200 degree oven until dried out and stiff.
6. Poke a hole in one corner. Hang with twine or string from the nearest tree for your birdies to enjoy!
Just make sure you keep it out of reach from the cat! Unless of course, your cat is Splat...
Love, Splat (Splat the Cat) by Rob Scotton
Have you met, Splat the Cat yet? He is so cute, even a vowed cat-hater such as myself will be completely charmed. In this story, Splat has a crush on Kitten and makes her a very special Valentine. But when cocky Spike gives Kitten his valentine, Splat is sure there is no hope Kitten will ever like him. Will Splat find
The story is cute, but it's the illustrations that make this a great book. The cartoon-like pictures are quirky with a monochromatic palette and bold splashes of color; you and your child will enjoy every page.