October 19, 2009

Salute to Sendak - Let the Wild Rumpus Start!

Wild Things mania has hit! I haven't seen the movie yet and I'm not sure if we will, but I am a devoted fan of the book. This week we'll be featuring books by Sendak starting of course with...

The Book - Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Of course the book is a classic, but that wouldn't be worth a hill of beans if my kids didn't like it. But they do! At three Little Page had it completely memorized. Seriously, it was the cutest thing in the world hearing her recite "They woawed theiw tewwible woaws and showed theiw tewwible claws and gnashed theiw tewwible teeth!" I read it to Littlest Page for the first time today and she kept interrupting me to kiss the wild things. She knows a kindred spirit when she sees one!

The Craft - A Moishe Mask


Did you know the monsters had names? I was totally unaware. Let me introduce you to Moishe! Little Page is very into masks at the moment and seeing as Halloween is around the corner, I thought a mask would be a great project to do. That is, until we actually sat down to try to do it. Thankfully, I had some ideas and so did she, so we threw this together combined our incredible artistic talents and came up with this masterpiece.

I'm not going to insult your intelligence by describing how we did it. You can see it involved half a paper plate, lots of construction paper, some glue, and markers. The real magic happened when she put it on!


What a wild thing! For better more ideas, check out these Wild Things crafts I found...

3 comments:

  1. I rarely go to the movies, but I think I'm going to see this one!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just popped over from Today's Creative and I'm loving the theme of your blog! I am an avid reader and am constantly reading and picking up books for my little ones . . . looking forward to reading more!

    Best,
    Sarah

    PS - Just noticed that Maurice Sendak also illustrated the "Little Bear" books. My son has just become a big fan of Little Bear and I was happily surprised! I just love children's book with great art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture of Little Page is ridiculously adorable. And the thought of Littliest Page being a kindred spirit with the Wild Things really make me laugh this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete

More Fun...

Related Posts with Thumbnails