June 4, 2009

Crawling Babies and a Great Book


This picture didn't turn out nearly as cool as I had envisioned. The baby kept crawling away - how's that for irony? Littlest Page has been crawling for several weeks now, but today she found her mojo. She's been into everything: laundry, dog food, the spice cabinet. (Her big sister found the spice cabinet incident particularly hilarious. I won't bore you with the details, but let me just say I keep the sprinkles in that cupboard.)

It's no surprise that at naptime today I chose to read The Day the Babies Crawled Away by Peggy Rathman. I bought this book at a book fair when Little P was a baby, but it became a favorite when I was pregnant with Littlest Page. The story is written in second-person and tells how "you" went after runaway babies and brought them safely back to their moms and dads. It's a sweet story with clever rhymes, but it's the illustrations that I really love. Every illustration is in sillhouete; only the negative space is in color. I love how this stretches Little P's perception of the world. We also enjoy discovering the hidden surprises in each picture. As the main character follows the babies on their adventure, little creatures join the fun. In each picture we search for the bumblebee, butterfly, frog, and others.

So the next time the kids are literally climbing the walls (or driving you up one!), pull out The Day the Babies Crawled Away and enjoy the little adventure in its pages!

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Fun...

Related Posts with Thumbnails