December 20, 2011

Marshmallow Cereal Wreaths


These were a staple of my childhood Christmases! This year I wanted to share the sticky, gooey joy with my girls, so we made up a small batch of Marshmallow Cornflake Wreaths after school.

Ingredients:
- 6 cups cornflakes
- 1 bag marshmallows
- 1/3 c butter
- green food coloring
- vanilla (optional)
- M&Ms

These are made just like rice crispy treats. Start by melting your butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until completely smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the food coloring. Now add your cornflakes and gently stir to coat.

Place mixture by 1/4 cupfuls onto wax paper. Form into wreaths with buttered hands and add M&Ms for decorations. Yields around 18 wreaths.


I think they made the perfect finishing touch to our cookie tins! These are going out to the neighbors this afternoon.


We also included spritz cookies, orange spritz cookies, chocolate crinkles, and toffee bark.


Of course, we saved a few for ourselves...


Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons by Amy Krouse Rosenthal 


I love Amy Krouse Rosenthal and her cookie series are absolutely darling. The cookie books don't tell a story, rather they use cookies as a way to define certain concepts, in this case, Christmas-y concepts like anticipation, charitable, and moderation.  The illustrations are just as sweet as the cookies they depict!

5 comments:

  1. They are so pretty that I almost don't want to eat mine. You're right, they were the perfect touch to the top of the pile. So incredibly cute, and nice that E could help you out with making them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute...I should pick up some corn flakes next time I'm at the store. And this reminds me that I need to get off the computer and go make rice crispy treats for my 1st graders class party later this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your baking is done! Whoo HOoo! We are attacking it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look fabulous! Pinning this one :-)

    ReplyDelete

More Fun...

Related Posts with Thumbnails