November 1, 2011

The Ultimate Harry Potter Party!


I love my friends. When I invited them to an adults-only, Harry Potter-themed Halloween party, they didn't look at me like I was crazy. Instead, they spent hours searching for just the right costume and came ready for a good time! So please forgive this completely self-indulgent post, but I just had to share with you my ultimate Harry Potter party.

The Invitations


For the invitations, I found a drawing of the Marauder's Map online and printed it on parchment-colored card stock. On the inside of the invitation, I drew little fading footprints with name plaques of several Harry Potter characters. On one of the name plaques was a link leading to this picture:

One person set their paper completely on fire and another never figured out the riddle, but the rest were able to successfully reveal the hidden message (painstakingly written with a baking soda solution):



The Decorations

 
Of course guests entered through platform 9 3/4.


I was really pleased with the way my house banners turned out.


Honeydukes!


Anyone forgetting a wand was able to pick one up at Ollivander's. The wands were bamboo garden stakes I cut up and spray painted. I found the Ollivander's logo online.


What would Hogwarts be without the Sorting Hat? I made this out of a Target's Dollar Spot witches hat, mod podge, paper bags, and a couple binder clips.


Then I added a few other details around the house.



The Guests

Everyone did such a great job on their costumes!

Luna Lovegood


Bellatrix Lestrange


Dolores Umbridge (and baby owl!)


Voldemort


Sybil Trelawney (who won our unofficial "best costume" award)


Neville Longbottom  & Hermione Granger


Fenrir Greyback & a victim
The Menu

When guests arrived they were directed to Potions class where my husband mixed their "potion" of choice. If you're interested, you can download his recipes here


Of course we served butterbeer - both alcoholic and non-alcoholic - and pumpkin juice.



 Dinner was served in four courses:

- baby spinach salad with strawberries & walnuts and homemade poppy seed dressing
- curried pumpkin soup with orzo
- roast hippogriff (bottom round roast) & yorkshire pudding, mashed potatoes, green beans
- butterbeer cupcakes, pumpkin pasties, Hagrid's rock cakes, and Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans

The Games

Find the Golden Snitch!
This was an informal game. I spray painted a small whiffle ball gold, threaded a wisp of tulle through it for wings, and stuck it on a wire that happens to stick out of a doorway in our home.



Who Am I?
We did this one during dinner. Guests had to ask yes or no questions to figure out which character was on their forehead.


Harry Potter Trivia
First we divided the guests into houses by pulling a house name out of the sorting hat. Then I took turns asking trivia questions to each team. Gryffindor ended up the champions! (My husband - Ron - begging the hat to sort him into Gryffindor.)


It was a great evening with friends and fellow lovers of Harry Potter! Everyone had a wonderful time... except perhaps for the littlest guest!


Ha! I promise little Lizzie was just fine - her mom was standing there taking pictures with the rest of us!

21 comments:

  1. Ack! I LOVE it!! You did such a fantastic job Chris. I know how much work goes into pulling off a fun party so I hope everyone enjoyed every detail. Your sorting hat is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sooooo awesome. Very clever and creative. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! The older (and more) kids we have, the more fun no-kids-allowed parties sound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looked like great fun! You do a wonderfull Luna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are simply A-MA-ZING!!! What a sensational party! Just ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I was invited to this party! Really great job all the details are super. Well next year I just use my invisibility cloak and my alohamora spell ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!!! Your friends know how to party!!!! Your details and creativity are fantastic as always!! Xoxoxoxoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun!! I love the golden snitch, super idea. I keep looking at your guest trying to decide who I think set their invite aflame!lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome! I love every single detail!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so creative! What amazing details you put into the party! the invitations are so fun and amazing job with the hat!!! I love how your friends got into the costumes. My favorite is the potions menu though. Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Want to move next door to me? What fun! The sign above the toilet is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything was soo cool! I wish I could have been there too!

    Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This party looks like so much fun! I love the idea of a candy tax.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the pics of your quests!!! How fun! I bet everyone had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! What a cool party! Great photos and guests! I love the photo of you in costume! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is amazing, it makes me want to throw a Harry Potter party next Halloween, so I can copy all your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh. My. Goodness. I just discovered this now and it is the most awesome party idea I've ever seen. I need to find a reason to have one of these with my siblings hahaha. Thanks for posting this <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. The invitation is just awe inspiring - please do share a link (or the document itself) of the drawing of the marauders map

    ReplyDelete

More Fun...

Related Posts with Thumbnails