July 13, 2010

A Little Slice of Watermelon


In my search for the best watermelon crafts and activities that the web has to offer, I stumbled upon these adorable jello watermelon treats from Chocolate on my Cranium. Red jello in a lime shell? What a brilliant idea! Let's get started.

You'll need:
- 2 limes
- one small package of red-colored jello (we used strawberry)
- mini chocolate chips

1. Cut the limes in half lengthwise.


2. Remove the pulp. It sounds easy... it's not. After three lime halves, I managed to get the hang of it. With a sharp knife, cut under the pulp one layer into the rind. Using your finger nails, peel out the pulp carefully, so as not to break through the rind. If you're one of those people who try to pick off your kids scabs when they're not looking, or used to let glue dry on your fingers so you could peel it off, you'll have no problem.


3. Mix jello according to jiggler recipe. The jiggler recipe calls for 4 boxes of jello, so if my math is correct, you'll add .6 cups of boiling water.


4. Rinse the rinds well.

5. Place the lime halves in a muffin tin and fill with jello. Put in the fridge to set.


6. After about a half hour, plop mini chocolate chips (for the seeds) into the lime shells.

7. Remove from fridge when fully set, around 3-4 hours. Cut into slices with a sharp knife. The jello is forgiving and bounces back nicely, so you don't have to worry too much while slicing.


8. Enjoy! The kids loved them, and even I was surprised how good chocolate chips taste inside strawberry jello.


Even my hubby said it was yummy - and he hates jello!


Down by the Bay by Raffi

Down by the Bay (Raffi Songs to Read)Do you remember Raffi? I admit, I only vaguely do. He has a set of books based on silly songs, and one of those is Down by the Bay. "Down by the Bay where the watermelons grow,/ back to my home I dare not go./ For if I do my mother will say,/"Did you ever see a goose kissing a moose, Down by the bay?"

The song is a silly one you may or may not remember from your own childhood. Each line contains a new nonsense rhyme until the final, "did you ever have a time when you couldn't make a rhyme, down by the bay?" The illustrations playfully demonstrate each ridiculous scenario, my favorite being the llamas eating their pajamas. This book isn't going to win any awards, but I bet your kids will love it and love singing it with you! There's simple sheet music in the back if you don't know the tune.

I'm linking up to:
- Show & Tell @ ABC & 123
- Get Your Craft On @ Today's Creative Blog

9 comments:

  1. That is so cute! My kids will love it too!

    My kids love that book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this neat idea Christianne...We'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your "watermelons" turned out great! We tried those last summer, and ended up with a total disaster - ours looked nothing like watermelons. It's nice to know they are possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We should have put our heads together! We just finished our theme of Watermelons... I wish we would have had some of your fun ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable and yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    -Kara
    http://littlelearnerslounge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE it! SO cute. I just started a link party and I would love it if you would drop in and add your fun fruit! http://imtopsyturvy.com/index.php/2010/07/topsy-turvy-tuesdays-1/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is on our summer list of things to do. I ran across it early summer and thought it looked like so much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another fun watermelon activity! Those look so neat, what a clever idea. Did you do anything with the lime pulp? Make limeaide?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always a good sign if hubby likes. Must be a sure-fire winner of a treat!

    ReplyDelete

More Fun...

Related Posts with Thumbnails