June 3, 2009

The Red Lemon

It's pushing 90 degrees outside and all I want is to cool down with a nice glass of lemonade. Miss Dawn at our Barnes and Noble storytime must have felt the same way. Her first pick for the kids this morning was The Red Lemon by Bob Staake. This is one of my favorite books! The graphic designer in me drools over the artwork. Seriously, you have to check it out. The pages are uber-colorful and have a fun, retro-advertisement kind of feel. The story is a darling one, about a farmer who finds a red lemon on one of his lemon trees. The sing-song rhymes are pleasant to read and easy for children to remember.


I was actually surprised Dawn picked it out for the toddlers, as I would recommend it for 3 and older. But Dawn could make a phone book interesting, and even Littlest Page was enthralled as she read. I bought it while we were there and brought it home for Little Page's naptime. Of course, after reading it we needed to make our own red lemonade. Were I supermom, I would have painted some lemons red and then squeezed them to make fresh lemonade. Instead, I poured some store-bought lemonade I had on-hand into a glass pitcher and added red food coloring. :) Little Page loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Fun...

Related Posts with Thumbnails